Friday, September 14, 2018

2 RTU STUDENTS RUINED MY DAY !

Last Monday was one of the blackest day in my life. It was a good day, the sun
was shining bright and I feel so light to start the week.  As I was opening the
roll-up door of my little bookshop, two psychology students from Rizal Technical
University (RTU) greeted me. They patiently waited as I opened the other roll-up
door and start to do business.

The two students were occasional customers having bought some reference books
from our store. Then came one of the most unanticipated question I have ever
heard in my many years of being called a "walking encyclopedia".  The first student
asked me how old I was, so I answered truthfully. "I'm 59 years old, one year to go
before I become a senior citizen. "

All of a sudden, the student's smile turned into one of disappointment. She said,
" Eeww ... we were looking for a 70 year old businessman we could interview for
our case study. Anyway, thanks and have a good day. " She called on her friend and
they started to walk away ... and to think they even wished me to have a good day.
I was smiling at first, but a bit later when I went to relieve myself  I couldn't help
staring at the mirror. With all the creases lined in my face, white hair and white
moustache, I do look older than my real age.

I have never been quite conscious about how I look and except for the arthritis part,
I still don't feel that old. Yet, remembering how the young student looked after
knowing that they hit the wrong target, I did felt old that day. I told my wife about
it, and adding insult to injury, she couldn't help laughing out loud. So this is how
an old man feels when somebody is making fun of his age.

I have always been positive about life. I will mark this day as a start of a new life.
I will work a bit harder in making myself fitter and not as old looking. I won't dye
my hair black, I  need the "old sage look" but I will add muscles to my frame and
follow a better diet to remedy my arthritic hands.

I remember a scene in the movie, "Grumpier Old Men". If ever I grow to be that
old, I would be just like the Burgess Meredith character but a little bit wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment