First e-mail question I got was rather tricky. I have a feeling that she's baiting me into committing myself - but it doesn't really matter what I believe in, its what you believe in that really counts. The Bible is a great book and everyone should devote some time to get acquainted with teachings for it laid the foundation of the Christian world. For over 2000 years, generation after generation have debated about the messages the Bible reveal, but instead of uniting the so-called Christians it only caused more divisions among them. Each espousing their own interpretation, we therefore have the choice which one to believe.
I remember one glaring scene in the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow"- a group of survivors clammed in inside a US national library while those left outside were all frozen to death. To keep themselves from freezing, they were forced to burn the books so they can keep warm. The librarian who was in charge set aside a bible which he kept near.. When asked why, he answered that though he doesn't believe in God, he said it was the first print of the Bible, and once all of them are gone it will be the only remaining proof that a civilization once existed. Historically, that's the importance of the Bible. Its other importance is the attached belief that the words written therein were the words of God dictated to the prophets for man to understand the workings of the Supreme Being.
We are all defined with what we believe in, the books we read, the songs we listen to, the movies we watch. All human beings are genetically 99 percent similar with one another but its the 1 percent difference that gives life and living all the excitements. We've made ourselves different from other animals because only humans can kill from a distance. Animals kill for food. Only humans kill for fun. And only humans worship a God that they could not touch and see. Only humans leave a legacy, and the Bible is one of the greatest legacy of civilization. Its not the earliest though. There were some written dogmas centuries earlier, but to the Christian world the Bible is the only truth that should be believed.
Going back to the question if I believe in the Bible. I believe it was written with the noblest intentions - and if ever you have experienced how it feels to be at your end of the rope, it could provide with the strength to go on and feel that there is a Great Someone who watches over you. "Not even a sparrow will fall down the earth without my permission" - I remember reading that in the Bible. If you can believe that with all your heart, then you have experienced how it is to have "faith" in God. I believe that God communicates with us every minute of the day. I am now 58 years of age and approximately my heart has pumped 2,325,000,000 times. At least about a third of that life I spent sleeping - helpless and unaware of everything that is happening. Surely Someone watches over us during that time. As Einstein said in one of his interviews - " Being spiritual is different from being religious. Its either you don't believe in miracles or you believe everyday is a miracle.
One thing I learned in all those readings - you also have to unlearn first the things you have learned about something before you truly understand what you wish to understand. Only when the cup is empty that it can be filled - so empty your cup first. Its is never wrong to open all doors you have a key to see what is inside before you can describe what is in it and not rely on someone else what they have seen inside it. We have but a limited time and no age have spoken with a single voice. There always was a major disagreement. But it is also wrong to dismiss the wisdom of the sages of the former times. Our heart will lead us into it if only we follow where it leads. Reading the Bible with an open heart is a good start.
No comments:
Post a Comment